Wednesday 3 December 2014


Start-up business in Serbia 

Ok so i wanted to write something that had some practical tips, advice and problem/solution information about business set-up in Serbia.
This seems like it’s going to be a really long article and not necessarily interesting for everyone, but for the one poor lonely soul who may be considering a business start-up here, this article is written to you
Be prepared for the constant questioning from our Serbs about just why you made this crazy choice, they just can’t seem to understand why anyone would move here… but I can tell you 5 good reasons why moving to Serbia and setting up a business might not be such a terrible idea after all.

1 1. Cheapness
           Well I guess the first thing that you might notice about Serbia if you come here on holiday or for any other reason is that it’s pretty damn cheap. Now listen, don’t be completely taken in by this, many things are the same or similar price as in the rest of Europe (for instance clothes, some foods etc.) But the kind of bigger stuff that you are looking at in the terms of business expense are relatively cheap. My little house costs me 135 euros a month, and it’s even PINK… can you believe that. Also bills are way lower, though not your phone bill, mine costs me 25 euros a month and that’s the same as in other parts of Europe, and it’s not because I talk so much… everyone pays the same.
Now the cool thing I think about it not being too expensive in terms of renting a place, buying equipment and all that is that it kind of brings your financial risk factor way down when it comes to opening a business. For example if I set up a business in the UK, I would pay 1500 pounds rent, another 1000 on utilities, and lots more for the other various services I would need, and besides that to get people to fix equipment is just sky high.
 Here in Serbia I can keep the bills of the Café down to a fraction of that, if there is a financial emergency (I had one of those last summer) no need to mortgage the house… which is a good thing.. cus I don’t have one. I could simply borrow a little from my savings and bail myself out of jail. Also when something brakes at the café…..and trust me, stuff breaks a lot, there are very reasonable mechanics and repair men who fix it for you.
Of course as with the less risk, you also cannot make much money over here, but I think it’s cool that you can have the space and breathing room to not be so financially burdened.
2  2. The great weather
         Even though we don’t have a sea front or an ocean view, sandy beach or any of that touristy shit. We do have fantastic weather over here. I am talking HOT in the summer, mhmm… great tans or in my case sunburn. COLD in the winter… like freezing coldness of beautiful snowy winteriness. The summery warm part lasts almost 9 months and it’s really hardly ever too hot, sometimes it’s intense, but rarely will it be extreme. Winter part… well recently it hasn’t actually been that cold, but it’s got snow and ice and chilly days and nights. So for me, this is a great thing about life in Serbia, you really get the best of both worlds.
3  3.  It’s got a lot in there… 
          Yes Serbia has a rich and existential culture (I feel very grown up, I am using a lot of big words in all my posts J)  I have been up and down and around the country and there are bits and pieces of beauty in every little corner. Many world touring cyclists who have stayed with me have commented that Serbia is one of the most friendly and beautiful places they have cycled.. and they also love the people, who are extremely welcoming.
4 4.  It’s a safe country…
          Now I know what you are thinking, that we had a lot of troubles here. I did mention in a previous article about the window smashing, death threats (you need to read the post about the history of Culture Exchange to understand this)… etc. Ok this was an extreme circumstance, with a highly political agenda attached. Aside from the occasional death threat we received, I can honestly say that I have felt more safe here than in England at any time. There is just not such an aggressive attitude. I know it doesn’t seem like that… but come and see for yourself, I walk home at 4am… alone and in very dimly lit streets, but I don’t feel afraid (it could be those Ti-kondo skills I learned in my free time). I think it’s kind of the whole atmosphere and attitude of people here is not so aggressive. For example in the UK, I would many times have a little space out (time where I go blank and stare at something for no apparent reason) within seconds of losing concentration I would been greeted with ‘WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKIN AT’ startling me out of my moment of peace and quiet, now that’s an ice-breaker if I ever heard one. When I go out in the UK at night, there are so many fights and people are just ready to start something. They always have that jostling, red-cheeked, too drunk to know what’s going on kind of look about them (not all Brits… sorry everyone who is British and not angry and red-faced)
I don’t know if this is just my opinion but I have hardly ever felt in danger or at risk here in Serbia. With the majority of the people being a peace-loving, friendly, kind, anti-aggressive.. fuzzy bear, loveable, huggable crew.
5  5.  Mhmmm…
            So what could possibly make me stay here in Serbia for 4 and a half years… all those reasons above wouldn’t be enough without the WONDERFUL people of Serbia. I have made many of my closest friends in Serbia. I have to tell you something about them. They are a fierce, intense, passionate, loving, and crazy nation (maybe that’s why we get on so well). They are protective of their friends and very loyal. They are different from the British people in some ways, some ways of acting and seeing things perhaps. But my goodness, they are fascinating and really really loveable. So since I arrived in Serbia, I have really felt strong connection with the people here in lots of ways (we have also had lots of super intense moments, fights and arguments) But they are always willing to help out with each little detail. Culture Exchange wouldn’t exist without the army of good friends that helped us each step of the way, with not only physical help, but encouragement of every kind.


Ok so this post was supposed to be about business start up.. but its not, I just got off on a tangent and never got back on. Now it’s late… and I am far too tired to talk seriously with you. I will leave you with one thought. Prepare yourselves for tomorrow, because I will be back, and I will be doing that serious talk (the birds and the bees) for all of you who are looking to do business start-up. That’s all for today kids x

No comments:

Post a Comment