Thursday 25 December 2014

Lot's of people all over the world, just like you and me, just ordinary little people.... are doing great things to change the world. Living where I do in Novi Sad, living the way I do, I have the pleasure of meeting some extraordinary people, adventurers and inspirational world changers. Being a cyclist myself, I love to open my home to other cycling enthusiasts, I am part of the warm-showers network (I know what it sounds like) its actually a network for travelling cyclists where you can find people to stay with, sort of like couch surfing but for the bicycle community. In my home in Novi Sad, I have a constant stream of people visiting, even though they always thank me and my roommate at the end for our kindness, I actually feel like thanking them. I need to meet these people to remind me just how beautiful life is, and to see that the four walls that I live in, the little cafe I own and all that I have physically around me are not all there is out there. The world is open to be embraced by arms that only need to let go of what they have in order to be able to hold it all.
In May last year I met 4 amazing guys who were cycling from Sweden to Muang Mai, Phuket. It is a journey of 16,000 kilometres, spans 18 countries and took them 9 months. Not only were they doing a brave and challenging thing, but they were doing it to support and orphanage in Phuket, they got donors to sponsor the trip and raised money for it (I am not sure how much). You can see more about their adventure here http://happytour.se/
I don't think anyone reading this who is not a cyclist can imagine cycling just that far. When I rode from Serbia to Istanbul it took me 13 days and in the end I wanted to throw my bicycle off the mountain (just for a couple hours, then i loved it again). For me it seemed that 13 days felt like a year.... I don't know how long 9 months felt like... but I hope one day to find out. The best way to make your life longer is to do something different every day, to take on adventure and risk as your two greatest friends, hold them close and go everywhere with them. You will understand when you try it.. they are truly the best friends you can ask for.
Now I can just imagine what some of you are thinking, you don't have money, visa's, equipment or any of the necessary things to take on these kind of adventures. This kind of thinking will most certainly land you in a 9-5 job everyday, living in a very boring way, and keep you safely inside your very sweet little home or apartment. You must think big before you can act big, If you want a really good story, start from nowhere with nothing. Most good adventures I believe should start with just that and nothing more. Your ideas are the very strongest thing you have, don't let them go, your faith in them, is the next strongest... keep believing. Plant the little seeds to get where you want to go.. they will grow.
I interviewed Fredrik Jessen, one of the travelling swedes. I found his answers so inspirational, funny and cool. I hope you will too. I am so happy we got the chance to meet these great people, and I hope that we will meet again soon... for now here is his account of their journey

What made you want to do a trip like this by bicycle?
My mate Calle sent me an email asking me if I wanted to join him on an epic journey across half the world to raise money to an orphanage in Thailand. I must admit I was a bit drunk when I read it but I think it took me like 10 seconds to decide that "Fuck yeah, lets do this!" so I called him and told him "I'm in!" because I knew I would hate myself if I'd turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity. This trip was a great way of combining an adventure with doing something good for others, not just doing it for myself.
How did your friends, family and other relationships react when you told them what you were doing?
My mom were a bit upset when I told her about which countries we would travel trough and I don't think she realized how determined i was to do it at first. But as we came closer to the starting day she kinda accepted the fact that it was going to happen. After showing her a few blogs about other people that peddled pretty much the same route she became a bit calmer about the whole thing.
I guess most of my friends never thought I would make it all the way since I'm not really famous for being an athlete, more the opposite, and everyone told me we would get killed in Iran and the stan-countries which turned out to be the friendliest countries we traveled trough.
What was the best part of the trip?
It's the question that everyone asks me and it's also the hardest one to answer. I don't have a specific place or country that was the best all countries were great in different ways. If I have to choose one I would say Kyrgyzstan cuz of the breathtaking nature, a country I'd like to go back to and see more of. Meeting all the great people from very different cultures and realising how nice and friendly people actually are, people like you!
What was the hardest part?
Not killing the ginger kids i was travelling with, surviving the heat in Turkmenistan, climbing the mountains in northern Turkey, not dying in Uzbekistan from the very nasty stomach bacterias, not freezing to death in the mountains of China, not killing the gay guy that molested me in Iran, eating kebab and köfte with dry rice everyday for a whole month, Headwind, always having to say good bye to the people you get to know, Sidewind.
What was the funniest part of the trip?
Meeting all the awesome people along the way. And crossing the finish line it was such a happy moment for everyone and it was so cool to finally meet the kids that we raised the money for.
How do you feel it changed you?
I'm definitely more patient and I've learnt to compromise, travelling and living together this close for over 8 months isn't easy. I'm more appreciative for the little things . One thing I realised is that I shouldn't complain about anything in Sweden. Sweden is a very functional country and there is few places in the world where everything just works as it is supposed to work like here.
What advice would you give to other people who are considering doing something similar?
Go alone, that will give you the freedom to stop where you want and see whatever you want and eat whatever and wherever you want. Get a Brooks saddle not a racing saddle as I had, your ass will thank you. Buy a proper bike with good gears and good brakes it doesn't have to be a touring bike a MTB will do just fine. Don't bring to much stuff you will just end up sending it home or leaving it behind. Save up more money then you think you'll spend, It's a cheap way of travelling but the money has a magic way of just disappearing anyways! Get a free standing tent (one you don't need to attach to the ground)!
What do you plan to do now that the trip is over?
I had to borrow money from my mom and dad to be able to finish the trip so now I'll just have to work and pay em back. My plan was to move back to Australia but I'll think I put that one on hold for a while. I kinda realised living here in Sweden isn't to bad for now. I dint think I'll do another cycling trip in the nearest future but I'm addicted to travelling and seeing new places so who knows where I'll end up next time.
All of them at our house in Novi Sad

At the finish line, after 9 months of cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment