Friday 2 January 2015

New Year, part 1


Isn't it funny that we pick one particular day of the year and say it’s the end of something and the start of something else? Like.. why that day…

Anyways I do love New Year, I think its because I always like the thought of having a fresh start in something. I love to start a new day, a new week, change of country, change of season, and yes a New YEAR. Somehow I always think that this time.. I will really change and fulfil all of my dreams and goals. The thought of starting again has always really attracted me, and not just a little start again, a complete tearing down of the old and starting anew.
Last year someone asked me what I wanted for 2014… I said one word ‘Change’. I didn't mind what happened, I just didn't want things to stay the same. I didn't want to arrive at 2015 and be in the same place with the same people with the same problems and the same old negativity.
I remember on around the 3rd of January I went with my friend for a walk and sat by the Danube, I carefully wrote down what I was hoping for the next year.

I wanted to write them here to show you what I was thinking and even I am kind of surprised that I put all of those abstract goals to be squeezed into one year. Today when I went through the 11 goals I had made, I only managed to fulfill 6 of them… arguably 6 and a half. When thinking about this, I realized that although all those things were good goals, some of them couldn't possibly go with the other ones, at least not for one human girl in one human year. I don’t think its necessarily wrong to put crazy goals that you don’t have a means to attain, you never know, one day you might have the opportunity, and just because it didn’t all happen for you in that year, doesn't mean that you won’t do it.

So here were my goals from 2014

1.      Keep clear financial records of every day of CE (I did not do this, although I did keep a very detailed book for about 5 months, I gave up when I felt it was pointless… ooopps)

2.     To Climb one mountain (When I was writing these goals, I had just read a book about the guy who climbed Everest, I was so inspired I put this goal. I did not climb a mountain, but I did cycle up one.. so I am taking this one as a done)

3.     To open the second CE (It is open… just not running fully… J can I take that one?)

4.      To keep the CE in Novi Sad open… YES IT IS… cha ching.. my first whole goal that is really and fully ticked off

5.      Perform in at least 1 stage show…(well, now I think I was thinking more professionally when I wrote this, but I did dress up as a Romanian magician and perform in front of all our guests at CE… I am gonna have to count it. I am taking everything I can get these days)

6.      Start saving towards buying a house (nope… my savings right now consist of a couple of 2 pence pieces wedged in between some crumbs and an old piece of chewing gum in my coat pocket)

7.      To Improve my coffee skills, Do pour over, be able to draw on the coffee and do a barista course (No not really.. though I did do pour over.. I can’t really take this one, a lot left undone)

8.      Learn 10 new recipes from other people (Me and Marija counted the new recipe’s I had learnt, and there was 6… so not quite there…)

9.      Learn more about building bikes and build 1 completely.. YES I DID IT

10.   Do another long bike trip over 1000k (I did ride to Budapest, a mere 300k, but that was the longest trip I did, so I cant really take it for the team)

11.   Spend time with God everyday… (yes I always have a spiritual moment on New Year, and as someone pointed out to me, if God is always with us, then we are spending time with him each day… So I think I can take that one)


So there are my goals from the year before, somehow it was hard to get all of that done. I also think I could have tried harder of course, and I will this year. I have decided to have a different kind of goals for 2015. This is kind of inspired by ‘The Happiness Project’, the author focuses on a different thing every month. She tries to work on every area of her life that is part of happiness. I think this is a great idea, and I will be making another post tomorrow about the goals I have made for 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment