Friday 11 November 2016

i like big butts
I really wanted to write a post before i left for Bangkok, it seemed like it would be good to see how i felt before and after arriving by recording my thoughts.. then i could be like...' haha i was so wrong'. 

It ended up that i left everything for the last minute, including going to the dentist... which i really needed to do. I decided to write the blog post and go to the dentist in Thailand... one of those two is straightforward and i guess we will see how the other one will go. If i do come back with a full set of golden teeth, you can just know that i finally got what i wanted.

My first impression of the airport and the whole trip was that it was not as culture shocking as i thought it would be. Its a very busy and hectic place, but still, its modern and people are polite and sweet.
my steed for the journey to Cambodia
Spinning Bear bike hostel
Making little plans
I had the good luck of chancing upon a sweet little gem of a place called the 'Spinning bear bicycle hostel'.. i caught sight of it on a cycling blog. Although i had already booked a hostel in the center for the first few nights, i immediately began messaging the owners. I mentioned that i was considering cycling from Bangkok to Siam Reap, and they offered to help me. When i arrived at the airport they picked me up and took me to their hostel, which was about 20k out of the city, but in a good location to start my bike journey, as there would be less cars. I was nervous about really doing a journey like this alone, especially with no experience of this country. As usual i throw myself into things and think about it later and it was not long before they were making phone calls and trying to find a bike that i could use, which wouldn't cost too much. within 2 hours of arriving i had a bike, i had a helmet, new bike gloves and was sitting in the spinning bear hostel with my map of Thailand and Cambodia planning my route with 'Im' (one of the owners of the place). She talked with me a lot about what it would be like and assured me that i would feel safe. 

I still feel nervous, i feel this trip has so many angles and sides to it. I am kinda in the sight-seeing.. walk around a big city like an idiot.. part. Then will come the face your fears bike part.. also a guess a lonely and solitude venture, plus plenty of adventure and unexpected situations. Then i am staying in Siam Reap at a meditation and yoga event, for one week i will be without Internet and staying in a little village, this will be the total relaxation of mind and body part. From Siam Reap i fly to Luang Probang in Laos to meet up with Tom (boyfriend.. soulmate dude), and i have to say i really miss him on this trip. I knew i needed to do some things alone in my life, but i can't help wishing that he was here almost every second, but i guess it makes the thought of seeing him in Laos so sweet and emotional. His brother (Maess) is also travelling down with him, so its going to be a lot of fun. After Laos we are all going to Vietnam together and chilling... from there the plan is kind of open but we must get to KLM by the 20th December because we fly together to England to see my parents and family for Christmas. After one week there we finally would return back to our lives in Graz, its a big holiday, big adventure and hopefully it will all fall into place.
Dan and Eyves

Now i am staying at a hostel close to the centre of Bangkok, so far its been really amazing to meet people and spend time with them. I met two very cool guys, Dan and Eyves (dunno if that is spelled right), we walked around the city all day today. It can be pretty exhausting as all day you are trying to not get killed, hit by a tuk tuk, or hustled into a ping pong show (which i have now realized

 is only barely related to ping pong). I am looking forward to my five lovely, lonely days of riding a bike to Siam Reap and I will keep you updated with all that I am doing in each place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment