Wednesday 28 October 2015






As you all know I like to include Adventure stories on my blog, to show some of the amazing people all over the world who are pursuing interesting dreams.  This year I met lots of cool cyclist personalities who were living an alternative life, living on the road, cycling long distance to many destinations all over the world. One such person is Manuel, I met him in Serbia, somewhere in the middle of his journey towards Istanbul. I asked him to answer some questions about his trip. I hope you all enjoy it!

Where was your adventure from and to?
I started in Rosenheim Germany, a small city between Munich and Salzburg, Austria. To get into cycling I decided to follow the river Inn and the Danube through Austria. From Linz I went down to south through Upper Austria and Steiermark to Slovenia. I followed the Drau in Slovenia and Croatia to Serbia. After that I made it on the EuroVeloRoute6 through Volvodijna to Bulgaria. After that I went down south, through the Balkan mountains, had a sneak into Greece and followed the D100 in Turkey to Istanbul.

What made you want to do something like this?
Well I finished my studies at University. Last few years I was busy with work through study breaks and time for a quite long bike trip. This year in summer I decided to cycle down to Istanbul just for doing it. Being by myself was the idea, to do something on my own. And I wanted to do something special for myself. Getting inspired by nature, road and people.

What was your favourite country and part of the journey?
The longer I was in a country I enjoyed it more and more. I guess Bulgaria was the most impressive country with the Balkan Mountains. I do like the climbs, and so I liked Bulgaria. I didn’t have any bad impressions about a country I have been in but the most hospitable people have been in Turkey. On one day I got invited twice for dinner. I was so full because I couldn’t refuse as they didn’t understand any English or German.

Were you afraid of something and if so what was it?
Before I started my trip I informed myself on cycle forums. Anybody was discussing about the wild dogs. So I got scared to. There have been some chasing and yelling at me. But that’s it. So maybe I was lucky, or maybe its better than everybody says. One guy in Croatia said: “Don’t be afraid about the animals. Be careful with the people.” – But even he was proved wrong. Some parts of Bulgaria have been scary a bit if you are on your own. But there wouldn’t be an adventure if everything would be nicely, straight and easily. And if you are through it, it makes you feel bigger, stronger. It makes you think different about countries and things you would have been saying before there is now chance doing that or this.


 Why do you want to travel by bicycle to these countries and do your travelling in this way?
My opinion about cycling is if you are using it for travelling is you’ll get to see the most of a country in less time. If you are in a airplane you will miss it all. If you are in a bus or a train you can’t stop where and when you want. If you are in your car your behind a window. If you are with your motorbike you are to fast. If you are on your feet it takes you ages. The bike is giving me the chance to see whatever I want, to stop wherever I want, it makes me feel tired, it makes my hungry to see more, I hurts, and it makes me screaming and above all. If there is just you and the bike it’s getting your Wilson and you know what’s happening – you start talking to it.


What would you share with other people to inspire them?
If you could give someone you meet one important piece of advice for their lives what would it be?
Go out there with your idea, whatever it is, and don’t start thinking about how should this work?  Just get a goal and go for it!

What are somethings that you have learnt in your adventures so far?
1.     There are good people and there are idiots
2.     Animals are not dangerous, people are

No comments:

Post a Comment